Sunday, November 26, 2006

Dancing

Hare Krishna,

People say we devotees dont enjoy life. Who says so?

Most of the parties, the so called night long parties generally end at 4 A.M. From where they end we begin. For dancing to the ecstatic singing of mahamantra at Mangala Arati is not a new thing. Does any party starts in the morning before even sunrise. Our does, and that too everyday.

The bliss that devotees feel when singing and dancing in the temple for the entertainment of their lordships Sri Sri Radha Parthasarthi is inexplicable and can only be experienced personally.

The revelation happened when I inititally started visiting ISKCON. The loud kirtan hit me like a shock wave. I felt a change in my consciousness. My vision was blurred and could partially see the divine couple of Radha Rani and Parthasarthi. Standing there with folded hands I felt too shy to even look around and enjoy the dancing. People in general were enjoying themselves. Guys my age were involved with the saffron clad devotees in a friendly dance competition. This was new to me, but still I was never alien to this singing and dancing thing unlike many.

I generally preferred to stand close to the altar, thinking of myself as a high level devotee who would personally want to enjoy the transcendental beauty of the lord's form. From there I could hear the fastening mridanga beats and the excited shoutings of hari nam by devotees. I felt in love with the idea that Krishna, our very own syamsundara is makin people dance like mad men. Oh! I ached to join the bandwagon but couldn't because of my inhibitions.

Srila Prabhupada says all that Hare Krishna's devotees have to do is Sing, Dance and Feast. Where's the difficult part ?
Its so natural that one's hands go up in surrender and the feet start rocking at the perception of harinam. I personally feel it to be a blessing by God. For the mridanga and kartalas create such a charged up atmosphere that it becomes difficult to not to dance. The natural tendency, our Krishna consciousness revives when we dance at the harinama sankrtana.

Ever seen the vaishnavas in perfect vaishnava attire of a dhoti kurta, kanthi and tilak dancing in ecstacy of love for supreme personality of godhead: KRSNA. Just try it. I promise you wont be able to restrain yourself from dancing.

No comments: